Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Raging Waters of Panas


What I like about unplanned adventures is that it offers spontaneity and extraordinary thrill. You’ll never know what’s in store for you as you traverse the path to your destination. This is exactly what I experienced during my recent weekend getaway in the bizarre town of New Corella in Davao del Norte, some 18 kilometers from my hometown Tagum.

This quaint town, as I was previously told, offers a diverse option for eco-tourism adventures. This includes natural water terraces and wading pools, exotic caves and nature trails.

The fact that it’s just near ignites my wanderlust radar. Since two friends decided to drop a planned hiatus in Davao Oriental, I found myself waking up on a Saturday morning thinking where to go. Out of nowhere, New Corella came to mind.


Panas Waterfalls in Barangay Carcor, New Corella, Davao del Norte
A big commuter jeepney took me from Tagum Overland and Transport Terminal to this town, with weary-looking people facing each other from the parallel seats where we are seated. The 30-minute ride is mostly punctuated with commuters moving in and out of the jeep. The provincial government should be credited for the nicely-paved concrete roads which make the travel bearable.

As I disembarked at the terminal, the initial reaction was the town seems to be too silent and laid-back—a stark contrast to the bustling scene in Tagum. On any given weekend, this scenario is just awesome. I already did a research on Google on my smartphone how to reach this place called Panas where a cascading waterfalls is located. To test the veracity of this research, I asked locals—tinderas in the sari-sari stores that line up in the public market to be specific—how to reach Panas. In halting explanation, their respective answers seems to contradict with each other. This is particularly alarming because people here should know basic information about their prized possession especially that their hometown is self-fashioning itself as an eco-tourism destination.

I saw how the landscape changed before my very eyes as I make my way to Panas through the famed habal-habal—from the flatland in downtown New Corella to the mountainous terrain of Barangay Carcor. It was a bumpy ride but the scenes around you just satisfy your eyes. Panas Inland Resort is approximately four kilometers from the downtown or about 10-minute ride from the poblacion.

I stayed there for two hours and attempted to take the river trail in anticipation to discover nature’s wonders embedded in Panas. But I was alone. Halfway, I decided to go back as it was eerie for me to take the trek alone. I just treated myself to the magnificent view of raging waters, producing sound that is truly music to my ears.

Olan Emboscado of www.thetravelteller.com describes Panas “as the foremost inland resort in the whole New Corella.” He continues: “Panas Inland Resort boasts of its multi-tiered cascading waterfalls freely flowing from different cool streams. These various streams and multi-tiered cascades becomes perfect spot to just soak or simply take a plunge to its insanely refreshing cool waters.”

True.

As I sat like a king on the front seat of the jeepney on my way back to Tagum, I noticed this family of three riding on a single motorcycle. This is as the same family I have seen enjoying the waters of Panas hours ago. At the back of my mind, I thought one needs not to go to far places just to curse the heat as the summer sizzles.

Our place abounds with those perfect summer getaways. One just needs to wander and discover.

Louie.

The blogger at Panas

Children beat the summer heat by enjoying the waters of Panas

Add caption

HOW TO GET TO NEW CORELLA FROM DAVAO CITY

From Davao City Overland Transport Terminal (DCOTT), take a passenger bus going to Tagum City, which is 56 kilometers away and can be reached in two hours. Drop off at the Tagum City Overland Transport Integrated Terminal. Ride a jeepney bound to New Corella and asked to be dropped at the public market where the terminal is also located. Many habal-habal drivers are available there for you to hire. Note that there are no available public transport that will take you back to Poblacion and New Corella from Panas. As what I did, I commissioned the driver to pick me up on an assigned time.

Davao City to Tagum City = Php 120.00
Tagum City to New Corella = Php 30.00
Poblacion, New Corella to Panas Inland Resort = Php 40.00
Resort Entrance Fee = Php 10.00

Here's Panas in Video:

Panas Waterfalls from louie bryan lapat on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. saludo njud ko nimo Boss Louie :)))

    Thank You for promoting PANAS! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. my over nyt po ba sa panas falls..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pwede ba makapasok ang sasakyan dito? or pang habal haballng tlga yung way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pwede sasakyan. We've just been here using a 2 wheel drive pick up truck. Just make sure you head here on a sunny weather, because there's a dirt road that could surely get muddy on a rainy day. or better yet, use a 4 wheel drive. Good news is, road constructions will soon get completed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...