Tuesday, January 15, 2013

State of my Music's Choice


I've always been fascinated with music, inasmuch as other people would adore their gadgets, or how people believe in fairytales. Personally, music has always been a friend--stimulating my creative juices (if ever there is one), providing me some sort of relaxation when stressed and most of the time, being a buddy while working in the wee hours of the morning either cramming before deadlines or those moments of endless scroll down's and clicks here and there. I find it very hard to write without music in my ears. I mean this has always been a pre-requisite before writing or making some stuff that needs concentration.

I happen to write this after looking back at what happened the whole day today. Someone has talked about someone's music as "baduy." And I really felt alluded, because this I admit: My choice of music is definitely different. But then I realized we all do have different genres of music that we like. Otherwise, that would make all of us weird and "baduy" in every sense of the world. Our respective taste in music reflects our being diverse yet united with our adoration of music whatever genre may that be.


But, maybe, I'm really that baduy when it comes to my taste of music. I'm not into rock. I'm into acoustic, something that is mellow and soothing to the ears, something that fits to the ocassion. I have a different playlist, in my phone and in my PC, for moments that are either mundane, happy-go-lucky or just plain music. The likes of Michael Buble, Joshua Radin and Dave Barnes. Or Christian Bautista and Noel Cabangon. Even Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez. And covers that I believe are better than the original. Most importantly, those songs with really nice melodies and lyrics that goes inside the tiniest compartments in the chambers of one's heart. I have also this penchant for chamber music, soundtracks from the movies and really old songs.

 Evaluating from this context, maybe this choice of music reflects my personality. Music is definitely the language of our soul. It's a cliche, but the only thing that it's cliche because it's true. My taste in music resonates my love for serenity and my uneasiness when it comes to something rowdy and boisterous. I don't like rock because it makes me feel cluttered and disorganized. But I don’t call people adoring this genre “baduy.” Thing is, we all have different sets of choice and to label one’s choice is definitely in bad taste.

It’s so ironic that while I’m writing this, only one song keeps repeating the whole time I’m pounding the keys. I’m like that. I could live listening to Michael Buble the whole day. My friend, Leo Timogan, himself a music aficionado, would always tell he finds it very amusing (but he displays that look that deserves a meme) that I keep on repeating the same music all over again. Like again and again. True. Maybe because I’m like that. I find it very hard to let go. I don’t know how to let go. The lyrics and the melody stay with me. And for a month could likely to consider it the anthem of my life. It’s the same with movies. I have this bad habit of watching all over again the movies/shows I’ve already seen.

I maybe sick. Maybe this is some sort of a psychological problem. But one thing is that this would not qualify as “baduy.”

Good night,
Louie.
15 January 2013
9:46 PM

PS: Tell me, am I really that baduy when it comes to music?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...