Thursday, May 31, 2012

Endings, Beginnings

Outside, the sound of noisy chickens trumpets an aura that seems so provincial. Listening to it exude a patina of calmness and makes you think as if you are living inside of the iconic paintings of Amorsolo. Truth be told, listening to it conveys one clear message: it’s a brand new day.

The sun just kissed the eastern sky when I grabbed a pen and started to write whatever comes to mind. One book I’ve read authored by Ricky Lee said that early mornings are truly the best time to write flowingly whatever that comes to mind. This is one of those mornings when straight from the bed, I’ll immediately go to the table and scribble until it’s time to go.


I am writing today because it’s been a long time since the last time I scribbled. Call it the irony of ironies: today is Friday which signals the end of a stressful week. Today also starts a new leaf in our calendar as we welcome the month of June. This leads me to two words that almost revolve in our lives: endings and beginnings.

We could have skipped it, or never noticed it, but all events in our lives lead to these words. What we call the end leads us to new shores and new beginnings. What lies beneath depends on how we face the challenge and how we come forth to meet them. Endings and beginnings are two married words that teach us valuable lessons: to let go of the past and embrace a new world full of surprises. The essence of our existence, no matter how we try to elude from it, is dictated by the gravity of endings and beginnings.

Along the way, courage takes place. Taking risks is sometimes the icing on top of the cake. I don’t know—but I am writing this today as a reminder of some sort that the greatest risk is not trying to take the risk at all. Okay, there’s this girl who have stolen my heart five years ago. Hers are the eyes I want to see each time I wake up in the morning. She probably owns the most beautiful smile I had ever seen in my entire life. And ours could have been the greatest love story ever told.

Could have been. Could have been. It never was. It never happened.

This morning is one of those mornings when I think of her, not contented with doing the same the night before going to sleep. This is also one of those mornings when I think of taking the risk of professing this undying love: the possibility of a sad ending or the bliss feeling that comes with new beginnings. Whichever of the two, fear enwraps my state of mind.

In between endings and beginnings is fear. Like in life, fear is constant. But the greatest minds of our generation planted a seed in our minds and persuaded us that the only thing to fear is fear itself.

I am afraid time will fall short as I scribble this sort of travesty along with mustering enough courage to confess. When it happens, may this piece summarize it all.

Endings. Beginnings. Fear. Risks. You had at me at hello.

Whatever, it's a brand new day.

Louie.
June 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...